AHHHHHHH.....Spring is in the Air!!

The sun is shining, the birds are chirping and flowers are budding.  I love this time of the year, everything is fresh and new. The ideas are following for spring and summer sewing.  First up is a dress for Easter.

But wait, what about the trouser jeans?  My trouser jeans are almost complete.  I just need to sew the waistband and hem.

But there is a little issue. I didn't get enough fabric to line my waistband.  I found this pretty cotton for my pockets and I was not thinking about the waistband when I made the purchase. Unfortunately, the fabric store is not close to me nor do they have mail order.  So, I'm deciding whether to just use a plain navy cotton , turquoise cotton or another print with similar colors.  While I'm deciding, thought I would get started on my dress for Easter.

I'm working on V8995 in a turquoise linen from my stash. I'm just about finished with the adjustments. A FBA, adding an inch to the hips and a sway back adjustment were in order. Hopefully, this evening I will be able to start the muslin.

Well, until next time...........keep sewing!!!!!


I am back!!!

Hope everyone's New Year is off to a wonderful start.

Well, I have to admit that I have been on a sewing hiatus. But not for lack of desire. Instead I wasn't sure of the direction I wanted to take my sewing.  Lately, things have been changing for me.  Suddenly, I no longer like my wardrobe, the living room furniture doesn't look or feel like me.  I could go on, but I won't. Just feel like my surroundings no longer reflect me.  A good friend share with me, this usually happens when you're about to turn 50. My response was just hmmmmmm.

But as I reflected, I realized that maybe there is some truth to her statement. I feel your 30's are about responsibility and acting like an adult. I feel your 40's you go on a journey of discovering who are and begin to settle in with yourself.  I realized that at 50 you are comfortable and cool with yourself.  With that, some changes may come.

So how has this impacted my sewing?  Well, I realize I need to take the restraints off my sewing and just take the journey.  No longer be concern with sewing a collection, should I incorporate Pantone's color of the year, how many garments should I make this year, what's the trend this year, etc. Instead ,just sew and let the rest follow.

My first project for the year is a pair of trouser jeans.  I absolutely love wearing jeans. They are my go to pants for casual wear. However, I want my jeans to have a sophistication and I think trouser jeans fits that bill. So, I will have a post on my trouser jeans this weekend.

In my last post, I shared a scarf that I had knitted.  Well it didn't stop with the scarf. During my sewing hiatus, I was knitting up a storm. This is so unusual for me.  Mainly because I have an on/off relationship with knitting.  I usually knit 2-3 items then I break up with knitting for a couple of years.  This is not happening this time.

I was in need of hats, so I decided to take a hat class on craftsy. Voila, I knitted myself 5 hats. Those hats came in handy with the winter were having. Then decided to invest in knitting needles. So now I have the tools I need for projects I may want to knit. Then, I decided I wanted to learn to knit socks. A new LYS opened in our downtown area.  They offered a beginners sock knitting class. All I can say is I'm on my second pair of socks. I'm beginning to understand why knitters fall in love with knitting socks. 

Just like with sewing, I like that I have control over the whole process.  For example, I wanted my hats knitted from fibers that would not pull my hair nor take moisture away from my hair.  So I knitted my hats with merino wool, cashmere and silk blend yarns. My socks are superwash merino wool, nylon and cashmere blends. My feet feel so wonderful in my socks. Here are pictures of some projects I knitted.

My blog is primarily my journey with sewing.  However since knitting and I have not broken up, I will be sharing some of my projects on my blog from time to time. 

Until next time...........keep sewing!!!


I Knit A Little

This time of the year, I almost always get the desire to knit. Whether I knit something is a different story.  However, this time I really wanted to complete a project.  But, wasn't sure what to knit. I wasn't keen on another scarf because frankly, that is all I knit. See, I haven't graduated from scarves yet. So, I decided I need to add to my knitting repertoire.
I ended up enrolling in Stephanie Japel's Knitting Lab and Hats Four Ways on craftsy. Side note, I am becoming a craftsy junkie.  I'll tell you more about that later. One of the projects in the knit lab, is a key hole scarf. This project introduces you to lace, which is something I want to learn.  So, I knitted another scarf. But it's different from what I have knitted in the past. Simple garter stitch scarves with novelty yarns.
This scarf went fast. Working in small amounts of time, I had it completed in a week.  I have to say, I feel fulfilled. LOL!!  Next, I plan on making a matching hat. The yarn I selected comes in a bulky weight. This is the weight I need for the hat in the Knit Hats 4 Ways class.
Here are a few stats on the scarf.
Yarn: Swish Merino Wool from knitpicks 
Needle: US 7
Stitches: knits, purls and yarn overs.
On the sewing front, wrapping up my navy pants.  One of three pairs I want to make for the Fall.

Until next time..........keep sewing!!

PS..Sorry about the different fonts. I started this post on my IPad and finshed on my laptop. For some reasom Blogger isn't converting the fonts well.